Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Omnivore's One Hundred

This list has been floating around the blogosphere the past few weeks. As a self-proclaimed foodie, it would be remiss of me not to answer it myself. The concept is simple: distinguish the items that you have tried from the items that you either have not yet tried or would never try.

For my purposes I'll bold the items I've already had and mark the ones I would never try in red. There were about a dozen items that I had to look up to figure out whether or not I'd be willing to try it.

The list originated on this site.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos Rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba Ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo Gobi
(there's a really good recipe for this on the DVD of Bend it Like Beckham)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle (one of my most memorable meals in Italy: two fresh eggs sunny side up with tons of freshly shaved black truffles over it)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (but not Boones Farm I swear!)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
(there is a blackberry patch near my parents' place)
23. Foie gras (I'm going to eat as much as I can before CA's ban takes effect)
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de Leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava

30. Bagna Cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
(hasn't everyone who ever lived in SF been to a Boudin?)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
(that hot dog from the street cart had to be topped with something)
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail Stew
41. Curried goat (didn't really care for it)
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (Johnnie Walker Blue Label and Chivas Regal Royal Salute)
46. Fugu puffer fish
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel (I'm a freak; I don't like it)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini

58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob Chips
61. S’mores

62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst (Sausage with curry? Sounds perfect to me.)
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail a.k.a. Escargot
79. Lapsang souchong (Type of Black Tea)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum goong
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
(I recently saw a box of Pocky Men's. The difference? It uses bittersweet chocolate. heehee.)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant. (We will do this someday in either Napa or NY.)
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (with rice for breakfast in Hawaii. And spam musubi for a snack.)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

100. Snake


So that's 59 items I have already had, 32 items I want to try (some more than others) and 9 items I'd never want to try unless I were under duress. Or stranded on a deserted island, on the brink of starvation. Looking at my list, I have tried all the Indian items on it. No surprise there. It also seems like I am a bit more adventurous when it comes to trying different forms of seafood as opposed to animal proteins. Do you think that's because I'm a Pisces? :-p

4 comments:

weezermonkey said...

What do you have against reptiles? ;)

Ann Marie said...

It must be a land vs. sea thing.

dapotato said...

if you're a pisces, then doesn't that make you more...cannibalistic?

Ann Marie said...

Hmmm, when you put it that way it sounds a little freaky. ;) But I guess in real life it really is all part of the food chain (big fish feeding off the little fish). I had been thinking of it more in terms of a pisces being more comfortable with the sea and sea life.