Monday, September 1, 2008

New Recipe Sunday #7

Pasta with Sausage, Basil and Mustard
Source: Food & Wine magazine


You will need:
  • 1 pound penne or medium shells
  • 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound hot Italian sausage -- casings removed and meat crumbled
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup thinly sliced basil
  1. Cook the pasta until al dente in a large pot of boiling, salted water; drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the crumbled sausage and brown over moderately high heat. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half. Add the cream, mustard, crushed red pepper and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the pasta and basil and serve.

Cooking Notes: (a) As usual I halved the amount of pasta. (b) I also halved the amount of mustard after seeing the face Eddie made when he saw it on the counter with the rest of the ingredients.

Eddie's Rating: "I don't know about this hon." I sort of agreed with him. The dish wasn't a disaster, but there was something off about it. I do plan on making this again, but with the following modifications:

  • Using even less of the mustard -- maybe a single tablespoon at the most. Even with the reduced amount I used, the mustard flavor was clear and present. Not in a good way.
  • Using a higher quality pork suasage or a poultry-based sausage instead. The brand I had used (Johnsonville?) was too greasy, which affected the sauce.
  • Paying closer attention to the wine as it reduced. I'm not entirely sure that I cooked it down long enough.

I'll post an updated review when I make it again.

No comments: