Thursday, July 17, 2008

New Recipe Sunday #2


This is nothing new. Nor is this a recipe. This is, however, the answer to "what's for dinner?" after a long day of housecleaning. Cleaning makes me cranky. Very cranky. So cranky that the second I was done with it I poured myself a (very)generous glass of wine while I put my feet up for a bit. The wine went to my head rather quickly; chopping anything would have been a dangerous endeavor. Everyone needs a quick, go-to meal in situations like these. Chicken soft tacos were the answer on Sunday night.
The best thing about making tacos is that there is so much room for personal expression. Maybe that's overstating it. But as long as it tastes good, you can pretty much do whatever you want in terms of fillings and condiments. Eddie and I are pretty basic. We just need some meat, cheese, guacamole and a good sauce or salsa. Of course using freshly made items would be preferable, but since we had so many taco-worthy items on hand in our cabinets I totally went the lazy route. I'm blaming the wine.
You will need:
  • 1 lb. ground chicken
  • 1 packet Lawry's hot taco seasoning
  • shredded cheese
  • guacamole
  • jalapeno hot sauce
  • tomatillo salsa
  • sliced jalapenos
  • tortillas
  1. Prepare the chicken according to the directions on the seasoning packet. Set aside.
  2. Warm tortillas.
  3. Spoon chicken into the tortillas. Add toppings and condiments to your liking.

These tacos paired well with Novella's Synergy Blanc wine. It's a blend of chardonnay, pinot gris, sauvignon blanc and a bit of muscat canelli. It's available at Trader Joe's for about $5. It was also quite nice to drink on its own.

Cooking Notes: (a) I tried to make things a little healthier by using ground chicken instead of beef, low carb tortillas and light cheese. In the future I'd opt for regular cheese instead. (b) Eddie and I like spicy foods, hence the hot seasoning, sliced jalapenos and two spicy salsas. You can always adjust the heat level to your liking. (c) Trader Joe's makes a pretty decent pre-made guacamole. (d) Have napkins on hand (or a dog underfoot) for the inevitable spillage while eating.

2 comments:

weezermonkey said...

Sometimes the simplest things are the yummiest!

tam pham said...

thanks for delurking :-)! you don't think that friends would be offended that tables were reserved for families only, do you?

also, would you do specific seats for the family or just put up a sign that said "reserved for family"??

thanks for the advice!