Monday, July 7, 2008

Tackling the I-5


The husband, puggle and myself set out for San Francisco over the long weekend. My least favorite part of heading to SF is the long drive up the I-5. Not only are gas prices exceptionally high along the corridor, but there is little to look at. In fact, when I head up on my own, I almost always take highway 101 instead, for its scenic value. It really doesn't take that much longer than the 5, maybe a half hour at worst.

Luckily, Jack is easily entertained and loves riding in the car. He can't get enough of looking out the window.

The photo above was taken as we were traveling along the Peninsula. I think we were in Burlingame or San Mateo. Can you see the layer of fog and cloud cover in the distance? Those clouds were over San Francisco. It was a very welcome sight. After weeks of 90-degree+ weather, I was more than ready for cool air.

By this point in our trip (almost seven hours in), Jack had enough of looking at the cars whizzing by and hunkered down for a nap.


And here is the primary reason for our trip. We volunteered to paint my parents' newly reconstructed deck. This is the 'before': an untreated redwood floor and railings that were last stained and treated several years ago. Stay tuned for the after!