Friday, May 9, 2008

I Left my Heart in San Francisco

Tony Bennet was really on to something with his lyrics.

I'm a rare native of SF aka "the city". I say that natives are rare, because it seems like most people in the city are transplants from elsewhere, even if it was elsewhere within the Bay Area. Not only was I born in SF, but I lived within its city limits for 26 out of my 32 years. I still consider SF as "home" in my heart. Fortunately, Eddie knows about, understands and accepts my love for the city. So he doesn't have any problem with me coming up to SF to visit as often as I'd like. My parents still live up here and most of my closest friends are up here as well. As a result, I hate making whirlwind trips to SF because I need much more time than 2 or 3 days to spend time with the family, visit with friends and enjoy the various things the city has to offer.

This past week was the first time since Thanksgiving that I was able to come up to SF for an extended visit. The impetus was my dad's cataract surgery, which happened to coincide with the same week as his birthday, as well as Mother's Day. It's been a really wonderful week. The early part was taken up with visits to the doctor and running errands for my parents, but once those things were out of the way I was able to spend some time with friends and explore the city.

Five days down, two more to go, but I feel like I could easily spend another week up here. San Francisco really does hold a piece of my heart.

1 comment:

weezermonkey said...

Hope your dad is healing well. I love SF and am jealous you have ties there!